While church is virtual, Zoom is a technology we are using to hold meetings and gatherings. It allows us to videochat in a conference call style, so we can see and hear one another in real time.
Getting Set Up
- Decide what type of device you will be using: a computer with a webcam, a tablet, or a smartphone.
- If you’re on a computer, visit zoom.us and set up a free account using an email address, and download the Zoom program to your computer.
- If you’re on a tablet or smartphone, download the ZOOM Cloud Meetings app and set up a free account using an email address.
- Find the link for the meeting or gathering you plan to attend. Note that these will not be published publicly on our website; you will receive these links via email.
- Click the link and your meeting should pop up on your computer or device.
- If it says that the host needs to start the meeting, never fear – Adam and Corinne have paid accounts that they are using for all of the church’s meetings, so if you arrive early, their accounts may still be in use in another meeting. Wait a few minutes and yours should start up.
- If you’re having trouble with the link, try the Meeting ID and Password that will also be shared in each invitation.
During the Call
- Be sure you have yourself muted. A bit of background noise doesn’t seem like it would get in the way, but when you add up all of our background noise, it can make it very hard to hear. If you are on a computer, the mute button can be found in the menu at the bottom of the screen, all the way on the left-hand side. When the microphone has a red slash through it, it means you’re muted. If you’re on a tablet or other device, tap your screen and the mute button should be at the bottom left.
- If you have video capabilities, we’d love to see you! Find that same menu that you found to mute yourself and click “Start Video” if you haven’t already. You can always click “Stop Video” if you want to turn video off at any point.
- Gallery view is the best way to see as many people as possible. If you are on a computer, click “Gallery” in the top right corner. If you are on a tablet or phone, swipe to the left and you should be able to see up to 4 or 9 people at a time.
- We will use the chat box for larger groups where unmuting is impractical. If you’re on a computer, the chat box will be in the center of that same bottom menu we’ve been visiting. If you’re on a tablet or phone, tap the 3 dots that say “More” underneath, and click “Chat.”